International Students

The Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts embraces diversity and welcomes students from different races, cultural backgrounds, countries and nationalities. The Student Services Department provides services and information to assist in a smooth transition to life at the College and in Jamaica. Thank you for your interest in Edna Manley College. Along with fulfilling admissions requirements, there is some immigration documentation and fees that are required.

Entry and arrival in Jamaica

The ports of entry by air are the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston and the Donald Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay. Students are advised to make reservations to land in Kingston rather than Montego Bay.


If prior arrangements have been made through the Office of Student Services, a representative of the College will meet overseas students upon their arrival at the Norman Manley International Airport. These arrangements must be made at least two weeks before scheduled arrival – full arrival details (student’s full name, airline, flight number, city/country of departing flight and time of arrival) must be provided in order to facilitate pick up. Students will be sent confirmation of airport pickup arrangements via email. This is a one-time, free service offered to new international students, when they first arrive. Students who request airport pickup and fail to notify the Student Services Office of major delays/cancellations or change of plans in a timely manner, will be assessed a fee for failure to cancel.

There is also a reliable taxi service at the airport offered by the Jamaica Union of Travelers Association (JUTA) that can provide transportation to the campus. Please note that students are responsible for all costs associated with the taxi service.

Immigration Policy

As stipulated by the Immigration Laws of Jamaica, foreign nationals are required to hold a valid passport and entry visa. Visas are required for international students (regardless of the period of study). Students from CARICOM or Commonwealth countries do not require a visa (except those from the Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Nigeria). The student visa must be obtained from the nearest Jamaican Consulate or Mission, prior to arrival in Jamaica.

On arrival at the airport, the letter of acceptance, issued by the College, must be presented to the Immigration Officers, following which your passport will be stamped, granting entry for two weeks. Once you are enrolled, the Registry will issue you a letter confirming registration, which should be submitted to the Immigration Office for processing an Extension of Stay Approval.

International students attending the College must report to the Immigration Department, 25c Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10, within this two-week period, and submit the following documents in order to extend their stay:

  1. A letter from the College (Registry) confirming his/her programme, and the year for which the student is registered
  2. A valid passport (for the duration of studies)
  3. An Alien Registration card (for non-Commonwealth nationals
  4. Two passport sized pictures (for non-Commonwealth nationals)
  5. An Extension of Stay fee (Information on fee available at

Commonwealth Citizens (most Caribbean students, UK, Australia, Canada, etc.)

  1. No student visa required.
  2. Valid passport required.
  3. Acceptance letter from the College.
  4. Within 2 weeks of landing in Jamaica, must complete and submit Extension of Stay form and a J$10,000 fee (approx. US$116) to the Immigration Office. (Extension of Stay forms are available from the Student Services Office on-campus).

United States and Other Non-Commonwealth Citizens

A student visa is required (regardless of the period of study) and must be obtained prior to arrival in Jamaica, from the nearest Jamaican embassy or consulate. Students who arrive without the required visa will be denied entry into Jamaica by Immigration. Persons cannot pursue studies under visitor status.

Students in Europe and other parts of the world can check the following website for Jamaican Embassies: (click on Missions)

Non-Commonwealth Citizens are charged an additional fee for Multiply Entry Visa. This fee varies according to the country of residence.

In the United States of America, the student visa can be obtained from the following: (Students should contact the embassy or consulate regarding processing time, fees and other details).

The Jamaican Embassy in Washington DC
Tel: (202)-452-0660; Fax: (202)-452-0081

The Jamaican Consulate in New York
Tel: (212)-935-9000; Fax: (212)-935-7507
Email: or

The Jamaican Consulate in Miami
Tel: (305)-374-8431; Fax: (305)-577-4970

  • A valid passport is required.
  • A round-trip ticket valid for one year is required.
  • Acceptance letter from the College.
  • Within 2 weeks of landing in Jamaica, must complete and submit Extension of Stay form and a J$10,000 fee (approx. US$116) to the Immigration Office. (Extension of Stay forms are available from the Student Services Office on-campus).
  • Within 2 weeks of landing, must also complete Alien Registration Card (available from the Student Services Office) and submit with 2 passport-sized pictures and a fee of J$2,000 (approx. US$23) to the Immigration Office. Alien Registration is applicable to students who staying for 6 months and longer.

International Students

International Students are required to report to Miss Tisha Wilson in the Student Services Dept. and Miss Cavel Jackson in the Registry department for processing prior to participating in orientation.

Processing fees and Visa Entry fees will vary.
For further information or clarification, please contact the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) at 754-7422.

Taxpayer Registration Number

The Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN), while not necessary for admission to the College is required to carry-out certain business transactions such as opening a local bank account etc.

International students can apply for a TRN at the Tax Collectorate (Inland Revenue) Office.  There is no fee to apply for the TRN.  However, students will need to:

  • Complete and submit the “Application for Taxpayer Registration (Individuals)” form, available at the Tax Office.
  • Show their passport at the time of submitting the application form.
  • The TRN is issued immediately and is valid for use right away.
  • Students are advised to store the TRN slip carefully.
  • A permanent TRN card will be issued by the Tax Office approximately one month after the application is submitted.
  • International students can check with the Office of Student Services if they need assistance with the TRN process.