It gives me great pleasure to bring greetings as the Founding Chair of The Arts Foundation of the Edna Manley College. As a major advocate of the Arts and the significant role it can play in our social and economic development, it was indeed a bold step by the College to establish a Foundation to support and promote the Arts, both locally and internationally.
The Arts Foundation was incorporated on December 15, 2008, as an autonomous non-profit organization, to attract the necessary support and assistance that will facilitate the activities of the College. There is an ever expanding gap between the government’s subvention and fees and the development needs of the College; therefore, this move could not have come at a more opportune time. The major objectives of the Foundation are to:
- Award scholarships to eligible students at the College who are experiencing financial challenges.
- Ensure greater community engagement through practical and relevant outreach programmes.
- Strengthen institutional collaborations, locally and internationally.
- Establish fundraising and economic enterprises to raise approximately $5 million over five years.
- Involve itself in all areas of the College’s development.
To this end, the Foundation has hosted two major fundraising events on featuring internationally acclaimed Jamaican born bass-baritone, Sir Willard White in 2010, and, in collaboration with the Embassy of Spain and the Spanish-Jamaican Foundation, Spain-based CMS Trio with dancer Sara Ferreiro in 2012. The Foundation has also hosted various workshops, facilitated donations to the College and has awarded over 17 scholarships over two years, each valued at least $150,000.
I am grateful for the support of the College, our Friends of the Foundation and the extraordinary group of individuals, who have so readily volunteered to serve on the Foundation:
Board of Directors
- Dr. Nicholeen DeGrasse-Johnson Principal/Director
- Mr. Earl Jarrett Director
- Mr. Jeff Cobham Director
- Mr. Stephen Facey Director
- Mr. Leslie Chang Director
- Mrs. Barbara Alexander Director
- Mrs. Camille Facey Director
- Mr. Sundiata Gibbs Secretary
Friends of The Arts Foundation
- Carl and Angela Cushnie
- Ambassador and Mrs. Gary Cooper
- Brian and Keneea George
- Kathleen Kennedy Townsend
- Dr. Stuart W. Lewis
- Jerome Maxwell
- Carl and Toni Randolph
- Peter Reid
- Theresa Roberts
- Paulette Wiener
- Patrick Casserly
- Diana Fredericks
- Mr. and Mrs. Barry Griswell
- Charmaine Gonsalves
- Llewelyn Xavier
We also invite your support, as we seek to give the Arts a greater voice in our development as a people.